WorkKeys Assessment(s) Information
Your student has the opportunity to take the following WorkKeys® Assessment(s):
- WorkKeys® Business Writing
- WorkKeys® Workplace Documents
- WorkKeys® Applied Mathematics
What is WorkKeys®?
The Virginia Department of Education has approved ACT WorkKeys® assessments as substitutes for certain graduation requirements:
- Business Writing WorkKeys® may be used as a substitute test for the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course (EOC) English: Writing Test (score of 3 or higher is required).
- Workplace Documents WorkKeys® may be used as a substitute test for the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course (EOC) English: Reading Test (score of 4 or higher is required).
- Workplace Documents WorkKeys® may be used to meet the literacy requirement for the modified standard diploma (score of 3 or higher is required).
- Applied Mathematics WorkKeys® may be used to meet the numeracy requirement for the modified standard diploma (score of 3 or higher is required).
Why is my student identified for WorkKeys® testing?
Your student has been identified for WorkKeys® testing because s/he needs to earn a verified credit for reading and/or writing or to meet the literacy and/or numeracy requirement(s) for graduation.
How should my student prepare?
To prepare for the Applied Mathematics, Business Writing® and Workplace Documents WorkKeys® your student should work with a teacher who will determine the areas your student should focus on before the test. Your student’s teacher may ask your student to review preparation materials or take a practice test designed specifically to prepare for the test. It is important that your student do his/her best and communicate with the teacher by asking questions when something is unclear or if help is needed. Because the WorkKeys tests are timed tests, students who are successful with the WorkKeys® manage time effectively and are familiar with business terminology. Your student should work with the teacher to prepare and practice to take full advantage of this opportunity to meet graduation requirements. Please note that there is no charge to students for the test. Test results will be available through counselors within 4-6 weeks. If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor for additional details.
What if I am not comfortable with in-person testing due to Covid-19 related health concerns?
All students enrolled in Virginia public schools must pass approved tests to earn verified credit required for graduation. Schools must ensure that parents are fully informed of the consequences of refusing to participate. Parents must acknowledge notification of each of the points below:
- The student is refusing in-person testing due to COVID-19 related health concerns.
- The student will not have a test record for this test window. If a verified credit is needed for graduation, the student will need to attempt another test to fulfill this requirement.
- While this student will not participate in testing, the school’s delivery of content and instruction will not change due to this decision. Academic expectations will remain the same.
- Schools will not have the benefit of analyzing student performance on the test(s), which provides detailed information about the student’s mastery of content.
Tamika N Thomas-Covington
Bryant High School